Foša is the Italian word for ditch or moat. The ditch was dug as a defensive barrier or a moat around the town in the 16th century. After the expulsion of the Turks in the 17 century, a part of the ditch was refilled so what remained was only a small bay in the southern part of the ditch, which is today the little Foša harbour.
The Stone Gates were built in 1543. By the end of the 19th century a wooden bridge was leading to the Land Gates.