The St Dimitrius Boarding School, an extensive school complex where girls from distinguished families from Zadar and other Dalmatian cities could study and stay, was erected in 1905. The boarding houses were mined by the German army during their withdrawal from Zadar in 1944. The Croatian Youth Centre was built there much later, and the city fortress, the so-called Citadela, from the 15th century, was preserved there. The school buildings, also mined, were restored and became part of the Faculty of Philosophy from 1956. The larger building houses the Festival Hall which serves, as in the time of the Boarding School, as an ideal venue for various festivities and cultural events.